Advice for Landlords:
Before letting your property:
- Ensure your mortgage lender is happy for you to let your property. Check any conditions that may apply.
- Inform your buildings and contents insurer that you are letting your property
- If you are going abroad, you must apply for an exemption certificate from the Inland Revenue
Your property must adhere to all current legislation:
- You must register as a landlord in Scotland before we can market a property for you. This can be done online at www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk. If we are managing your property, you will have to enter our registration number as agent. Our numbers are:
133754/230/27230 in Edinburgh
133754/210/18580 in East Lothian
133754/250/23060 in West Lothian
133754/290/16050 in Midlothian
46111/250/23020 in Fife
- If you accept three or more unrelated tenants in your property, you must have and HMO license. This must be in place before we let your property. We can offer advice on how to go about getting an HMO license.
- You must have a valid gas safety certificate for the property. This must be renewed every year. We can arrange this for you.
- You must have a valid electrical safety certificate and PAT certificate. This must be renewed every year. We can arrange this for you.
- The property must be in a good condition to meet the repairing standards law. The repairing standard came in on 3/9/07. This replaces schedule 10 of 1987 act, bringing it into line with housing Scotland 2001 act for RSL's. New authority: Private Rented Housing Panel (PRHP). Example: the house has satisfactory provision for detecting fire (smoke alarm has to be connected to the mains).
Here's how to get your property looking its best...
It may be cliché, but first impression count. the surest way to get the best tenants- and the best possible income-is to make sure your property is looking its very best. and our help can make a real difference.
Advice that comes from experience.
Because we only ever market quality properties to quality tenants, there is an expectation of high standards all round. At JVR we have over 20 years experience of property management between us- so we are well placed to understand our tenant's expectation.
...and keep it that way
With our full property management service, checks and repairs are carried out automatically-we will take care of everything. And our flexible approach means we are happy to help any of our landlords with maintenance as and when they need it.
Musselburgh: 60 High Street,
Musselburgh, EH21 7BX
Tel: +44 (0) 131 653 6981
Dundee and Fife: 38 Whitehall Crescent, Dundee, DD1 4AY
Tel: +44 (0) 1382 226 611
Edinburgh: 270 Gorgie Road,
Edinburgh, EH11 2PP
Tel / Fax: +44 (0) 131 337 9111